WordLift uses entities to annotate and organize blog posts and pages. All entities can be edited using the WordLift Edit Post widget or from the Entity Page itself. To access all entities or add a new entity click on the Vocabolary icon on the dashboard menu.
When annotating a post with an entity WordLift adds a link to the entity page. These links are useful for three reasons:
- They allow users to navigate the website
- They help establish information hierarchy using the network of entities
- They could help spread link juice (ranking power) around the websites for better SEO.
Curating entity pages with WordLift is similar to writing an article on Wikipedia. These entity posts are useful for:
- Providing contextual information to articles
- Aggregate all contents referring to the same entity
Edit entity properties¶
The entity page provides the following set of properties that can be edited from the corresponding meta box:
- Name: the title of the article
- Description: the body of the article
- Image: the featured image of the article
- Entity Types: the corresponding type (i.e. Thing, Person, Place, Event, Organization, Creative Work, ...) that can be managed via the WordLift - Entity Type box in the editing window
- Permalink: the URL describing the entity
- Same-As: the URLs of same entity on the different sources
Entity types and properties Table¶
Here follows the list of properties that can be edited with WordLift for each entity type.
|Thing||The most generic type of entity.||name,description,image, type,URL,sameAs, additionalType.||Thing|
|Person||A person.||name,description,image, type,URL,sameAs, additionalType.||Person|
|Place||Entities with a physical extension.||name,description,image, type,URL,sameAs, additionalType,geo.||Place|
|Event||An event happening in a specific time and location.||name,description,image, type,URL,sameAs, additionalType,location, startDate,endDate.||Event|
|Organization||An organization.||name,description,image, type,URL,sameAs, additionalType,founder.||Organization|
|Local business||A physical business or branch of an organization.||name,description,image, type,URL,sameAs,address founder,geo.||LocalBusiness|
|Creative Work||The most generic kind of Creative Work(i.e. Software).||name,description,image, type,URL,sameAs, additionalType.||CreativeWork|
Edit an Event¶
Events, occuring in a specific time are also entities. To personalise the startDate, endDate and location of an event you can use the Event Properties box.
Edit a Place¶
Places are also entities. To personalise the geo coordinates (longitude and latitude) of a place I can use the Coordinates box and either edit the Latitude and Longitude fields or simply place the pinpoint on the map.
Updating the description¶
When we have something meanigful to say on a specific concept we shall curate the information and edit the data that has been fetched automatically by WordLift (this will create our own version of Wikipedia).
The Faceted Search Widget¶
Entity pages can be used for helping users browse the content of your website. This is done using the Faceted Search Widget. The Widget can be added on the entity page using the Faceted Search option from the Widgets Dropodown Menu
[wl_faceted_search] shortcode can be used.
- Faceted Search
- Provides a faceted search user interface to help readers discover relevant articles using the network of entities.
The example above represents the widget displayed in the front-end. The reader can select multiple concepts and highlight the list of articles related to these concepts.
In order to save the information on the entity press the “Publish” button. When making changes to an already existing entity press the “Update” button. In both cases data will be stored simultaneously on the WordPress site as well as in the graph.
You can now continue to the Publish page.